Today, after a quiet spell (the post-Ibiza mood is not really conducive to open source communication), I asked the Twitter community for their thoughts on bar snacks. You see, we are preparing to launch our new place, The Draft House, on Northcote Road (sexy logo above) and I have been stuck in a bar food black hole. The very phrase bar food for me conjures up awful images of deep-fried frozen spring rolls with an over-sweet chilli dip. And yet we all know that at its best it can make your entire evening.
So thank you to (in no particular order and without your @s) exromana, aforkful, eatlikeagirl, stefanchomka, tiffanymurray, circeplum, shar13, antimega, smokeynlentils, msquaredcomms, mathildecuisine, piebot, luce28, jamesbackhouse, summerlp and last but not least lulupho. Some of your suggestions were downright odd (stewed cheese? I mean STEWED CHEESE?? - ok, ok you know who you are...are we talking fondue here?) but most were inspirational and I look forward to inviting all of you to a pre-opening tasting of these with thirds of fine ales, lagers, stouts, wheats etc etc.
So here we have the complete list which preserves anonymity and - sic - I give the spelling as I received it:
- chargrilled chorizo with olives and lemon
- Crab/chilli/lime in filo or Moroccan brique pastry. Or spicy, minced lamb w/ mint on mini flatbreads
- something fishy like posh fish fingers or whitebait. Mini sized meatballs with a little spicy kick
- pakoras (partclrly good w ale), bite-size samosas, coxinha de galinha w spicy sauce. good ol' chips w paprika&chili pwdr
- husband: liver and onions, venison/wild boar sausage and mash. Are these snacks? Pakora. Prawns+Garlic. Off for lunch now
- Good fishcakes -Thai or otherwise- not rubbery ones or ones made with too much potato at 17 quid. Squid, baby or grown.
- anything that involves decent, hot chorizo. So you can get drunk and ruin perfectly good clothes with bright red grease
- triple-cooked chips with romesco. Just invented it and WANT SOME! (Fee to usual address)
- am I right in thinking draft house is a new venture in northcote road? sardines;duck egg;anchovies on toast, welsh rarebit.
- hello! chorizo croquetas, scotch quail eggs, really good crackling, plates of jamon or similar
- Mussels, Scotch Eggs, Fish Sandwich (bajan flying fish sandwich style), good chips
- Croque monsieur, any kind of 'Quiches' and savoury tarts
- A good lentils soup in winter
- Deep fried artichoke hearts are classic American bar food.
- chorizo, whitebait, boquorones (hot?), little cheesy things of any variety
- Chilli and salt crusted calamari
- a decent bowl of salty chips, pork pie. Rarebit and scotch eggs a must i reckon
- Scotch eggs, rarebit, fresh sratchings, sausage rolls: just your basic cuisine minceur, really...
- Buffalo wings. I'm addicted to the spicy little buggers.
Oh dear, I can't find the STEWED CHEESE post. Maybe it was just a dream...
See you at the Draft House in October.
ps If you're on Twitter I heartily recommend that you follow the above-mentioned contributors...